What is Selenium?
Selenium automates browsers. That's it! What you do with that power is entirely up to you. Primarily, it is for automating web applications for testing purposes, but is certainly not limited to just that. Boring web-based administration tasks can (and should!) also be automated as well.
Selenium has the support of some of the largest browser vendors who have taken (or are taking) steps to make Selenium a native part of their browser. It is also the core technology in countless other browser automation tools, APIs and frameworks.
Which part of Selenium is appropriate for me?
If you want to
Then you want to use Selenium IDE; a Firefox add-on that will do simple record-and-playback of interactions with the browser.
If you want to
Then you want to use Selenium WebDriver; a collection of language specific bindings to drive a browser -- the way it is meant to be driven.
Selenium WebDriver is the successor of Selenium Remote Control which has been officially deprecated. The Selenium Server (used by both WebDriver and Remote Control) now also includes built-in grid capabilities.
Although we are in the process of migrating them to our new sponsorship program (launched in May 2014), a special thanks goes out to Sauce Labs, which has been a long supporter of Selenium and provides free access to their products.
Selenium NewsThe following is the latest Selenium news posted in the Selenium blog. Please subscribe to the RSS feed to keep up-to-date with all Selenium development and community activity! Don't forget to follow us on Twitter too!
- Selenium Hangout 5 Recap - Mon, 19 May 2014
- Announcing Selenium Conf ?14: Bangalore, India - Mon, 24 Feb 2014
- Selenium Hangout 4 Recap - Fri, 07 Feb 2014
- Android and iOS Support - Tue, 24 Dec 2013
- Selenium Hangout 3 Recap - Fri, 01 Nov 2013
- Selenium Hangout 2 Recap - Wed, 09 Oct 2013
- Mobile WebDriver - Wed, 28 Aug 2013
- The Road to Selenium 3 - Wed, 28 Aug 2013
- A Smattering of Selenium #157 - Sun, 18 Aug 2013
- A Smattering of Selenium #156 - Mon, 12 Aug 2013